Borrego is seeking an Executive Vice President of People and Culture to join our team and lead all aspects of human resources. This is an executive position reporting directly to the CEO. This person will be a key member of the Executive Team, participating in most major company strategy and policy decisions.
Borrego is a fast-growing renewable energy company. We currently employ almost 500 full-time Borreguinos across the country. We are in the process of transitioning out Pandemic mode to a “hybrid by default” location policy with the majority of our team reporting into one of our five office locations in Oakland (CA), San Diego (CA), Lowell (MA), Latham (NY) and Chicago (IL).
At Borrego, we don’t accept the status quo. We are driven by a culture of teamwork, fearless thinking, and adaptability as we pursue our mission to accelerate the adoption of renewable energy. With more than 850 MW already installed, we’re excited about the “Gigawatt Revolution” happening across our company as we shift from megawatts to gigawatts of clean energy in the coming years.
After 40 years in business, Borrego is a trusted name in the solar industry and well-known for our strong employee culture. We combine the stability and wisdom gained by decades in business with an entrepreneurial spirit. Our employees are driven and animated by the Borrego System of Excellence, an operating framework detailing our mission, vision, strategy, and cultural principles and working systems.
Interested? Please visit Borrego’s career page to apply.
About the Position:
The Executive Vice President of People and Culture will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Human Resources function for Borrego Solar’s nationwide offices and employees. In addition, he or she will have the opportunity, working with senior management, to design, implement and manage a talent management program and build a team of HR professionals to support the company’s strategic objective to develop the most capable team in the renewable energy sector. Reporting to the CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible for mastering existing systems and practices, introducing innovations and building out the department’s capabilities in the areas of recruitment, onboarding, compensation, and employee development. He or she will demonstrate the vision, strategy and follow through necessary to lead the growth and transformation of our team into a world-class department that is a force for positive change across our rapidly growing company.
The ideal candidate will have functional expertise and the ability to see the big picture, while also being hands-on with day-to-day processes. He or she will have an acute understanding of the importance of culture to the success of an organization. Lastly, this individual must possess strong business acumen with the ability to build rapport with others and the emotional intelligence necessary to build consensus and lead through influence.
Position responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Implement a comprehensive talent management program that addresses key issues including: career development, succession planning, and performance management.
- Oversee team managing full-cycle recruiting process; identify opportunities and lead improvement initiatives related to brand management, candidate sourcing, interviewing best practices, and candidate evaluation to ensure Borrego is employing the best and brightest in the industry.
- Oversee the development and implementation of proactive diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives in support of Borrego’s strategic plan to create a learning and working environment where everyone has an opportunity to succeed.
- Manage various company programs such as training, professional development, performance management, and employee engagement.
- With the support of HR Business Partners: design and administer benefits programs, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401k, STD/LTD and COBRA eligibility.
- Oversee maintenance and enhancement of HRIS database (UKG/Ultipro) including providing business leaders with insightful HR data to assist with key decisions.
- Provide coaching, counseling, and guidance regarding complex employment issues. Conduct investigations, escalating matters as appropriate.
- Manage and continue to improve Borrego’s compensation plan with an emphasis on fairness and transparency.
- Ensure compliance with various employment laws in each state. Interpret applicable laws and regulations and make recommendations that are consistent with Borrego’s culture and that minimize risk.
- Manage external vendor and partner relationships.
While no one individual will possess them all, the successful candidate will bring many of the following experiences, skills, and attributes:
- Minimum of 10+ years of HR experience with a focus on an innovative, fast-growing workforce
- At least 3-years leading the HR function at a company similar in size and scope
- Ability to work with data to drive insights and identify opportunities
- Experience in the areas of: compliance, immigration, recruiting, talent management, compensation, and benefits administration
- Strong HR legal compliance expertise
- Ability to deliver engaging leadership communication verbally and in writing
- Experience working through structured change management and project management processes
- Credible leader perceived as a trusted consultant and functional expert to senior leadership. Ability to develop and maintain effective working, collaborative relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- Excellent personal time management and prioritization skills
- More than 5-years of people management experience
- Knowledge of lean problem-solving methodologies a plus
- Prior experience in renewable energy, energy, development or construction a plus
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
Borrego uses an internally equitable and externally competitive total cash approach to compensation. Our comprehensive benefits package includes dental, vision, health, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) plan with company match and immediate vesting; continuing education and professional development assistance; access to Borrego’s wellness platform; and self-managed flexible work schedules and time-off policies.
Our corporate culture fosters bold moves, a growth mindset, and the ability to take risks — and we value innovative thinkers who will help us reach our ambitious growth goals. We believe that flexibility and work-life balance are important parts of long-term employee happiness and productivity. Our employees are trusted to get their work done and are given the freedom to do so when they are their most efficient, creative, and engaged.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Borrego values the diverse perspectives, skills, experiences, and contributions of all employees. We want all our employees to feel like they belong and are empowered to be their most authentic selves at work. We’re actively committed to fostering diversity not only within our own organization but also within the renewable energy industry.
We seek a diverse candidate pool in this – and every – search. Borrego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetics, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal and local laws. In addition to federal law requirements, Borrego complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. EEO M/F/D/V.
A Note to Third-Party Recruiters
Borrego’s People + Culture team coordinates all recruiting and hiring at our company. Borrego does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies. Resumes are only accepted from third-party recruiters, staffing firms, or related agencies if a signed agreement is in place AND if external recruiting assistance is authorized by the People + Culture team for a specific position. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Borrego. Borrego is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
- Job ID: 57762689
California, United States
Massachusetts, United States
- Position Title: Executive Vice President of People + Culture
- Company Name: Borrego
- Job Function: Human Resources
- Job Type: Full-Time